Workshop: Creating Presentations That Deliver Results
Workshop, Pre-registration required
Audience: College Students, Graduate Students, Professionals, Entrepreneurs
This interactive workshop focuses on helping participants learn the building blocks of creating effective presentations that get results. At some point in our lives, we all have to deliver a presentation – whether it’s to a crowd of a 1,000 or just to our boss. We often have a lot weighing on the outcome of these presentations – from startup funding to career advancement – yet most of us don’t know how to create presentations that really deliver. It can take years of trial and error to get it right, or simply learning a few best practices that even non-designers can use to create powerful, impactful decks.
We will cover presentations in general and will discuss the best practices associated with a variety of presentation-types, including: startup investment decks, non-profit sponsor funding requests, intra-office presentations, and sales pitches.
In this workshop we will collaborate to understand why most presentations are bad and how we can avoid the common pitfalls of deck design. Attendees should come prepared for an interactive session where you’ll collaborate with your peers to create a more effective presentation and practice delivering it. Attendees are invited to come with their own presentation (or send it to the instructor in advance) so that we can apply our newly learned skills to real-world examples.
Instructors: Marcie Braden
Participants can expect to gain knowledge and instruction in the following key areas:
- Powerpoint Software – The essential tools and methods
- Audience Identification – Identify who you’re pitching to and determine their underlying motivators
- Audience/Content Alignment – Tailoring your content to elicit an action from your audience
- Supporting Evidence– Understanding which information to include, and which to leave out to support your argument
- Data Visualization – Understanding the best way to present data to create high-impact presentations
- Visual Design Best Practices – Learn the designer’s toolkit and how to apply them to your presentation (without being a designer)
- Organization – Storyboarding your slides to create a clear and effective presentation
- Authentic Story – Creating an authentic and engaging story as a framework for your presentation
- Pitching Your Presentation– Learning best practices for delivering a deck to your audience